At the Feet of Angel Mothers

"All that I am or hope to be I owe to my angel mother. I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life." -Abraham Lincoln

"Heaven liveth at the feet of mothers." -Muhammad

I have an angel mother. As a child, I used to sit on the sewing machine cover next to her while she sewed. I liked to be with her. When she came to tuck me in each night, she'd often spend an hour on the edge of my bed. Listening. Advising. Just being there.

My mother still makes herself available when I need her.

I'm feeling grateful for her, as well as for other amazing women who I look to as examples.

That's the thing about mothers. Nurturing is in their hearts.

I still enjoy sitting at the feet of great women and relishing in their spirits, in the way they define motherhood as the holiest of callings. I feel perfectly content, kneeling on the floor, looking up to these women who I am lucky to call friends, lingering as long as I can, hoping that their greatness will rub off on me.

Today, happiness is nurturing and being nurtured.



*One of the wonderful mothers that inspired this post, Shauna Dunn, has recently been named the Utah Young Mother of the Year. For lots of good ideas, check out her new blog, Utah Young Mother 2010. Be sure to scroll back far enough to see her portfolio answers!*

No comments:

Post a Comment