Book Review: Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter

We have a new, beloved addition to our homeschool. It's called a radio. No. I'm actually serious. We bought a little portable radio/cd player/cassette player, and the kids are loving it. We've haven't had it long, and already we have listened to several books on tape. We just finished listening to...


Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter
Review by me, Emily

Are you familiar with this classic?

Pollyanna's life isn't always easy, but she looks for the good in everything anyway. It all started when she received a pair of crutches instead of a doll. Her father said she should be glad not to need them. Thus began the glad game.

When Pollyanna goes to live with her cross, old relative, Aunt Polly, she meets many unexpected friends. Always finding things to be glad about, Pollyanna is able to help many people in the town see their lives in a new light. She teaches them the glad game and is able to spread joy throughout the community.

However, when Pollyanna finds herself in the midst of a difficult trial of her own, she begins to question whether there really is anything to be glad about.

As we listened to the story, we grew to love Pollyanna for her cheerfulness and felt inspired to play the 'game' ourselves.

Pollyanna is a great classic for the whole family.

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your book reviews! I am a public school teacher with four kids and didn't home school any of them, but I truly see the advantages to such an education now. Mothers like you, who undertake it do have my admiration.
    We are currently reading Johnny Tremain in our "family reading time" and I was wondering if you had ever read or reviewed that classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I haven't read or reviewed Johnny Tremain. Would you like to write up a review for it? I'd appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! We just watched the movie, but I've never read the book. It was already added to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete