Motherhood: Greater than Rubies

In the intro to Stephen R. Covey's book, EVERYDAY GREATNESS, he says something that I love, something that I quickly put up in my kitchen. He says, Live Life in Crescendo. Do you know what a crescendo is? It looks like a less than (<) symbol and is used in music to show a gradual increase in volume.


To live in crescendo, someone must be constantly progressing, improving, learning, growing. Many women believe that becoming a mother is the end of their personal lives. They must fit as much 'life' in as possible before starting a family.

But I believe that you can be a mom and live richly, deeply.

In Proverbs we read, "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. She worketh willingly with her hands. With the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard. She stretcheth out her hand to the poor. Strength and honour are her clothing. She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness."

It is easy to think of ourselves as "just moms", but we must remember that we are doing important work. Mothers should be cherished above rubies.

President Gordon B. Hinckley of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has said, "Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels."
 
I agree with this. My mother is an angel.
 
I am grateful to be a mother. It is hard. It is wonderful. It is challenging. It is rewarding. It is exhausting. It is exalting.
 
My hardest mothering moments are when all the kids are upset. My favorites are when we are happy together, whether we are laughing, reading, eating, or just being.

I hope to model to my children a life lived in crescendo. A life filled with a love of learning and an ever increasing love of those around me.

1 comment: