One of the ideas from my huge list of things to do, was to have the kids plan a meal, help shop for the items, and prepare the meal.
We did this for our special Sunday dinner with Aunt Marissa and Uncle Terry.
First, the kids brainstormed some of their favorite dinner ideas (chicken fingers, peas, pot pie...) and wrote them down. They settled on shrimp tacos. I know. What kids love shrimp tacos? Mine, apparently. They made out a menu. Shrimp tacos, corn, Spanish rice, and strawberries, with brownies and ice cream for dessert.
We all looked at the recipes and made a shopping list.
Going to Smith's and pushing around the mini carts was definitely their favorite part of the adventure. (They may or may not have had a couple shopping cart races...and they may or may not have made a couple old people glare at their mother.)
The dinner plans got fancier and fancier. Soon enough, they were writing name cards and pulling out our (rarely-used) napkin rings. The table was lovely. The food...tasty. The company...splendid. The lessons learned...fun and useful.
Wanna-Be Cafe Rio Shrimp Tacos (If you like breaded shrimp and cilantro, you have to try these...)
frozen popcorn shrimp
tortillas (the home-cooked ones are yummiest)
cilantro to taste
Green sauce ingredients:
1 buttermilk ranch dressing packet prepared according to package
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1 clove garlic
juice from 1 lime
1. Cook the popcorn shrimp according to the package directions.
2. Prepare the green sauce by placing all the ingredients in a blender and blending until smooth.
3. Cut remaining cilantro, leaving it in large pieces.
4. Warm (or cook, if necessary) the tortillas.
5. I'm sure you can figure out the rest...Place shrimp, green sauce, and cilantro onto a tortilla. Roll it up, and enjoy!
Easy and delicious. The kids love it, as long as I don't make it too spicy.