Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner

Stone FoxBook Review: Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner

I read this book aloud to my kids today, and let me tell you. I was a blubbering fool. I used to roll my eyes and laugh when my mom cried at emotional stories. Now I'm her.

Except this time, Bubs (nearly 7) wasn't rolling his eyes. He was crying, too.

Are you familiar with this very short chapter book? Here's a brief overview:

Little Willy may only be ten, but that doesn't mean he can't run a potato farm. His grandfather has become very ill. Willy is determined to make everything better by harvesting the potato crop.

When that doesn't help matters, Willy discovers a debt that his grandfather owes for $500.

Against all odds, Willy enters a dog-sled race, where he'll compete against the best racers in the country, including the huge Indian, Stone Fox, who has never lost a race.

Will his determination and courage be enough?

As mentioned, this book is a tear-jerker. However, it spurred great conversation (great enough to make me forget I had an appointment...), and I'm glad we read it together.

1 comment:

  1. I can so understand the 'blubbering fool' part. I often get choked up while reading aloud. I remember how we all just cried and cried when Jack died. (Little House on the Prairie)

    You are not alone. ☺

    ReplyDelete