How to Make a Puppet Theatre

After seeing a friend's puppet theatre in her unfinished basement, I knew I had to have one. It was so simple to put together! Here's what I did...

1. I had the kids stand in the door frame to see how high to make the bottom curtain. I wanted it tall enough to cover them when they were sitting, but low enough that they could be seen standing. I cut the fabric to the length, using the full width of the fabric.

2. I sewed a 1/2 inch seam all the way around the piece. Then I found the top edge and made a larger seam at about 1 1/2 inches (Make this according to the size of your rods.

3. I put a tension rod (Found at Walmart for about $2.50) through the top seam.


4. For the top curtain, I did the same exact thing, only cutting the piece in half from top to bottom before sewing the seams.

5. Next, I tied the top curtain to the sides with ribbon.

6. Finally, I gathered all the dressups in the house and hung them behind the curtain. I also filled a tub with show items, such as puppets, bits of fabric and ribbon, finger puppets, and a play microphone.


I am loving our basement. We've never really used the space before, except as a dumping ground...But it is turning out to be the perfect place for our theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment