There's something magical about baking with kids, and it's not just the magic flour dust that floats through the air. It's using your hearts, minds, and hands to create something that will satisfy. It's working together, but it doesn't feel like work. It feels like play, making a mess that is not just allowed, but encouraged. Giggling together. Discussing. Counting. Loving. And mmmmmm...smelling that baking bread while you cuddle up to read a story.
It's a bit of heaven on earth. And that's all before you even taste it.
Basic Bread recipe:
2 C very warm water
2 Tbsp yeast
1/2 C sugar
2 tsp salt
up to 6 cups bread flour
1 Tbsp olive oil
1. In a large mixing bowl, add water and yeast. Swirl together.
2. Stir in sugar.
3. Add salt, pouring it down the side of the bowl.
4. Add one cup of flour at a time until the dough comes away from the bowl (about 4 cups).
5. Spread a cup of flour on a clean, flat surface. Knead the dough into the flour until the dough does not droop when you hold it in your hand. You may not use all 6 cups.
6. Pour a tablespoon of olive oil in the mixing bowl. Add the dough, turning over until coated. Cover with a towel and let rise until it doubles in size.
7. Split dough in half, and place into two greased bread pans. Cover and let rise again.
8. When dough is rounded over the top of the pan, bake in preheated oven at 350 for 30 minutes. (Times and temps will vary.)