The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan



Review by Becky Laney, frequent contributor.



Oh my. Trust me it's good. Really really good. The Battle of the Labyrinth is the fourth novel in the Percy Jackson series, a contemporary fantasy series built around the premise that the Greek gods are alive and well and living in modern-day America. The others include The Lightning Thief, Sea of Monsters, and The Titan's Curse. Rick Riordan is one of my favorite authors. His Percy Jackson novels in a way illustrate the ultimate when it comes to the can't-put-downability experience. Once you start, you really can't stop. They're just that good, that suspenseful, that magical.


What can I say about The Battle of the Labyrinth? It's good. It's intense. It's very intense. There really isn't a calm or dull moment in its 361 pages. The story? The plot? Well, I won't be spilling that here. For one, I don't think you'll need the incentive to go and read this one if you've read the other three. You'd read it no matter what I said. You might already have a copy in hand or on order. If you haven't read any of the Percy Jackson books yet, you really need to correct that...and soon! It's fun and educational. The weaving of Greek mythology into a modern-day adventure story starring unforgettable characters...is just brilliant. Each novel adds more depth, more substance, more meaning into the story. New characters, new plot twists, new ways of making this series oh-so-magical.


First sentence: The last thing I wanted to do on my summer break was blow up another school.


Last sentence: "Come inside for cake and ice cream," I said. "It sounds like we've got a lot to talk about."

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this book. My favorite in the series (something about book #4 in a series is awesome. I love a lot of book #4's).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids (& husband) love this series. They've all said that this one picks you up and doesn't stop until the end. They are all (not) patiently waiting for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter just finished Sea of Monsters this morning and said, "It was so good!" Now she's headed for Titan's Curse. I haven't caught up yet, I've only read Lightening Thief so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I personally have read it six times in the few months that I've owned it; can't wait for The Last Olympian. I holed up at home and read the entire book in one night...just the right amount of questions were left unanswered, just enough threads were left untied, just the right amount of details were mentioned but not elaborated upon. It's one of the best books I've ever read (ranking along with only the rest of the series, and Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie by Jordon Sonnenblick. Not much can top this book. I'm waiting to see how the next one compares...I know it'll be awesome!

    ReplyDelete