A Series of Unfortunate Events: A Bad Beginning


A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

Review by Allana


I know that there was a movie and all, but a Series of Unfortunate Events is my favorite series ever. When I was in fourth grade, I engulfed the books in three weeks. Since then I've had a passion for the books and now own all 13 in hardcover edition. The first book in the series, The Bad Beginning is just the start of wealthy children Violet, Klaus, and Sunny's misfortune. When a horrible fire destroys their home, it also leaves both their parents dead. Mr. Poe, the children's banker, informs them that they cannot collect the massive fortune that their parents left them until Violet is 16. Their parents wishes leave the children with their somehow related Count Olaf. He makes them do horrible work, and treats them like dogs. But not only is he evil, but he is scheming. He has a plan, but what it entails is for you, the reader to find out.


Recommended Age Group: Young Adult

3 comments:

  1. I just happened upon this blog and am very impressed.

    Regarding the Lemony Snicket books... They are a very clever and well-written series. Even for people who may or may not be young adults! (I guess I'd be considered a "young adult" next to my 80-something-year-old grandma)

    However, you may not wish to read all 13 books in one sitting. They do tend to get a bit depressing. Then again, we are warned in every book that this is, after all, a Series of Unfortunate Events...

    By the way, the audio book CDs of this series are excellent. (Even if they put me to sleep on a number of occasions. At least I wasn't driving at the time!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading my review. I love all of the books in the series as well. Have a good day!
    Allana

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are excellent books and some of my favorites as well! And Ant Marie is right, the audio books are awesome too! Tim Burton is the reader and he does a great job!

    ReplyDelete