The Lifegiving Home by Sally Clarkson and Sarah Clarkson

Friends! The Lifegiving Home by Sally Clarkson and Sarah Clarkson is a beautifully inspiring book for mothers.

Do you want to know how much I love this book? I purchased it on audible, on kindle, and in paperback...and I'm giving it to my sisters for their birthdays. Shhhh!

And...I want to give one to you, too! The publisher didn't send this one to me; I just really want to share it! GO ENTER OUR 3 BOOK GIVEAWAY!

Ok. So, why do I love this book so much? Let me count the ways.

The Lifegiving Home: Creating a Place of Belonging and Becoming is about making home a place of beauty, a place of discipleship to God, a place of learning, a place of celebration, a place of love.

I highlighted many sections as I read. Sarah Clarkson says, "Home is not merely a dwelling. It's not merely a state of existence. It's a story, a narrative spun out day by day, a story molded by the walls and hours and tasks and feasts with which we fill our time, reflecting the reality of the God whose love animates every aspect of our being."

I love all of the little and bigger ideas they share. As we slowly weave these ideas into our own homes, they become vibrant places where life and love are celebrated. For example, I loved their idea about having a chalkboard on the front porch to welcome guests. I have incorporated this simple idea. In the book, I found this wonderful quote by J. Brillat-Savarin: "To invite someone into your home is to take charge of their happiness for as long as they are under your roof."

In a world in turmoil, both natural and manmade, we may feel that there isn't much hope. This book is full of hope. Mother Teresa said, "If you want to change the world, go home and love your family."

Word to the Wise: I enjoyed the whole book. I have, however, heard from a couple people that they didn't love the beginning. It waxes a bit poetic and maybe idealistic at first. BUT, everyone I know that has gotten into the monthly themed chapters has found the book profoundly helpful and even life-changing...or I suppose we could say, lifegiving. :)

A sequel to this book, The Lifegiving Table, is being released tomorrow. As you can imagine, I'm pretty excited about that. It speaks specifically of using our tables for discipleship and discusses how the Savior used food to minister to others.

Oh, and as if I haven't fan-girled enough here, I'm also in love with Sally's podcast. You can find it here.

One more thing. Marlene Peterson, founder of Libraries of Hope, has created a new resource for mothers who want to gather and learn together. Mothers of Influence groups will study A Mother's Influence, the Delphian courses, and The Lifegiving Home. As I learn more about Mothers of Influence, I will share here. It sounds dreamy.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing, Em! I will definitely look into these books! Thanks for sharing! ❤️

    ReplyDelete