Number the Stars by Lois Lowry




Review by Becky Laney, frequent contributor



Number the Stars is a Newbery winner. It is the story of a young girl, Annemarie, and her family. The book is set during World War II in Denmark, 1943 to be precise. Annemarie and Ellen are best friends. The two live together in the same apartment building. The two go to school together. The two do practically everything together. But all that is about to change, you see, Ellen and her family are Jewish. And while the soldiers--Nazis--have been occupying Denmark for over a year, their policies are about to change. There is danger in the air, and everyone--young and old--can feel it. This is the story of two girls, two friends, and two brave families. I always enjoy reading about the war and the holocaust from the danish perspective. For one thing, the resistance movement is strong, powerful. Denmark was a nation with people who cared, who took risks, who did the right thing, who saved lives. I think this book can be read and enjoyed by everyone--no matter your age--despite the fact that it is a "children's book."

5 comments:

  1. Love this book! Can't say enough good about it or Lois Lowry! Glad you enjoyed it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a terrific book to use in school, too. I used it last year, with my fifth and sixth graders.

    It was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved this book--a Newbery winner that appeals to adults as well as children. Lois Lowry is one of my favorite authors. I also love Nancy Farmer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the book it was very intererestin!

    ReplyDelete