Emma by Jane Austen


Emma by Jane Austen


I recently read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, and I would list them among my favorite books. For my third Austen book, I settled on Emma. I did not care for Emma as much, but I am glad that I read it.

In some respects, Emma Woodhouse is not a likable heroine. She is self-centered and vain, and she uses others for her own entertainment and pleasure. Throughout the novel, however, Emma changes into a lady who genuinely cares for the feelings of others and learns that she cannot view the entire world through her own desires and perspective.


Although she was sometimes shallow, I liked Emma as a character, and I enjoyed following her transformation. Like the other Austen books I have read, Emma is filled with wit and humor. On the other hand, there were times when I felt the story was dragging. Sometimes, I just had to put the book down and come back to it at another time. Additionally, while I believe that Jane Austen has a gift for creating wonderful characters, there were so many people mentioned that I sometimes had difficulty keeping some of the lesser names straight in my mind.


Of the Austen books I have read, Emma was not my favorite, but I certainly recommend it. If you have never read Jane Austen, head to your nearest library now; you will not be disappointed. And, because Emma has been made into several movies, you can treat yourself to the movie as well (after reading the book, of course)!


Review by Lauren, regular contributor

1 comment:

  1. I did not love Emma either. I think it is the character of Emma. I can't get over feeling that she is a bit of a brat. :) Persuasion is my favorite- Anne seems to me a worthy heroine!!

    ReplyDelete